Very Important Notes:
- This role will require the successful candidate to work:
- night shifts as a matter of course for 6 days a week
- longer hours during peak Summer season
- with and maintain excellent working alliance with Lead Baker, Café leaders and owners
- We are prepared to pay well for the right candidate
This vacancy consists of two critically important roles within our business.
In the first instance we are looking for an Experienced Baker to join our team and hit the ground running working very closely with our experienced Lead Baker to produce our range of popular breads and confectionary.
The second part of this role is as Production Manager; and as such to manage the day to day operations of the bakery. This involves working very closely with the owners, our Lead Baker and Café leaders by taking direct responsibility for the bakery operations from production to dispatch and customer satisfaction.
Purpose of Role:
To manage all operational aspects of production from materials receipt through to finished product despatch, to enable our internal and external customers to be supplied on time, to quality, quantity and food safety/health and safety standards, whilst minimising the cost of manufacturing
Managing a team; Production staff and associated functions within the business, ensuring all areas of accountability are achieved, with a high visibility in the bakery promoting a culture of achievement and responsibility.
For the right candidate we would consider a very strong profile in one of the aspects of the roles and allow time and provide training to expedite development in the other.
Operational Responsibilities of the Role
The Baker role requires ongoing hands-on breadmaking:
- converting the production list into an operational shift plan
- mixing, scaling, shaping, proving, baking bread
- production of a variety of confectionary according to recipes and quality standards
The Production Manager role requires:
- Ensuring that production cycles are planned effectively based on forecasts and trends
- Managing bakery staff:
- Supervision, regular feedback & training
- Weekly rota - holiday/sick cover
- Ensuring that stock levels are systematically monitored and efficiently procured
- Ensure that the allergen information is kept up-to-date for all products.
- Maintaining product recipes files
- Ensuring all staff have food safety and food allergen training, as well as HACCP training and complete and maintain necessary documentation.
- Look for ways to reduce waste throughout the bakery and reduce inefficiencies.
- Oversee and coordinate deliveries
- Ensuring high level of satisfaction for wholesale customers
- Consolidating current production and working with the owners and Lead Baker to design and execute business strategies to maximise the profitability of the bakery as business unit
Key Skills/ Experience Required
- A good knowledge of craft baking and sourdough
- Food manufacturing management experience is essential as you will be expected to ‘hit the ground running’.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Talent for implementing systems and controls
- Knowledgeable about HSE and due diligence.
- First Aid certified is desirable.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills.
- Strong people management and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Proven ability to communicate well during high pressure situations.
- Excellent IT skills.
- A passion for excellence and quality.
- A flexible and innovative approach to your work.
- Strong technical skills.
- Flexibility in relation to working hours.